Converting your attic can be an attractive and ideal way to add some extra space to your home. It not only saves the disturbing movement of the house but also adds to the value of the property. But crucial things to be taken care of in this regards are proper lighting and ventilation in order to ensure that the loft is an airy space where you can hop in whenever you feel like. Fitting a Velux window can facilitate you to change your dark attic in to a beautiful and useable space filled with potential.
Underlined are some of the tips when it is about installing the Velux windows without the professional facilitation.
The first thing needs to be done in this regards is to decide the size of the required window and its preferred positioning. Make sure that the dimensions for the opening in your roof are measured perfectly. In order to create the opening for your window, you need to remove the tiles from the decided area of your roof and cut it through. It is important to make sure that there is sufficient support between the roof beams and the floor to take the weight until the dwangs are cut and fitted properly. You can fit the smallest Velux windows without cutting the beams. In case your window is larger, then one should get the professional’s advice. Follow the underlined tips to install the window:
- Lay your Velux window flat to unpack and open it carefully
- Remove the glass from the fame to get it fitted. You can get it done by pushing in the small pins that are located in the hinges
- To all the four corners of the window frame, fit the brackets with the help of provided screws
- Place the window on the top of the batons and fix it in the place by making use of the supplied screws
- Fit the window flat in relation to the roof. If required; make use of the black wedge that is supplied under one of the corners to make sure that the window is stable
- You are now ready to install the flashings around the window
Make sure that the flashings you are using are right for the roof type. This stage is critical and needs to be ensured so that there is no leakage. Fit the lower flashing. Afterwards the soakers should be fitted up each side of the windows and then fix to the roof covering.
As it can be well understood that it is a crucial act to be carried out hence it is highly suggested to contact the professionals to carry out this task. Eagle Roofing is a professional roofing contractor, offering services since 30 years. We offer several other services as well. You may browse our website for the details of the services that we offer to our valued customers. You can read the testimonials to know how our customers are satisfied with our professional facilitation.